Monday-esque Tuesday Quick Hits: Beastie Boys, the Palin, Mob Wives & more...

This was my first Memorial Day weekend in roughly 8 years when I didn’t have to work. It was awesome. I’ll have to try it again someday.

Summer doesn’t really start for me until I come home with one slightly painful and visually entertaining sunburn. As someone who prides and guides himself on learning from his mistakes, the fact that year after year I keep making the same one (poor application of sunscreen) is becoming as uncomfortable as the sunburns that result from it.

Some days I feel I need more boardwalks in my life. Some days I feel I have just enough.

I don’t want the Miami Heat to win for the same reason I didn’t want the Steelers to win the Super Bowl- I don’t want to see them happy. Not yet at least. I am fully aware that Lebron & Wade and Bosh the Tag-a-long will own the league for at least the next five years, but I just don’t want them to start yet. Everything they have said and done this whole year has been incredibly annoying and massively unappealing. A little bit of humility never hurt anyone. Go Mavericks.

“The Red Sox scare me,” Kim’s dad said this weekend. There are few things better in the world for a Red Sox fan than hearing a lifelong Yankees’ fan say those words.

I’m sorry I-tunes, but until you are able to start coming up with the kind of deals Amazon has, you’ve lost my business. I got three albums- new discs by the Beastie Boys, TV on the Radio, and Paul Simon for fifteen bucks. I’m not going to say I made out like a bandit. But I definitely made out like someone who has hung out with bandits, learned from them and employed their tactics. TV on the Radio gets two thumbs up, Paul Simon gets one thumbs up and a wink and the Beastie Boys get two thumbs up, a shimmy shake, and a promise of multiple recommendations to both friends and strangers.

The Beastie Boys make albums that just sound cooler than anyone else’s. Music is all about making choices and those three dudes make all the right ones. They are also one of my top 5 bands who make me want to immediately start playing music. The others (in no particular order): Rustic Overtones, Paranoid Social Club, Black Keys, and the Roots.

Speaking of Paranoid Social Club- they are easily the winner of the Most Anticipated Album with the Worst Cover Art award. Besides that, Axis IV is another great album from two of my favorite songwriters- Dave Gutter & Jon Roods. The album lacks an amazing song like “Music Man” or “Bully,” but is still solid. I was up and down with it until I realized that for a week straight I was constantly singing one of the songs from the album. Then I figured it must be pretty good.

I can’t wait to have fishing as a hobby.

That Mob Wives show doesn’t make sense to me. Isn’t openly admitting you’re a mob wife incredibly incriminating- if not for the wife, than for the husband? Wasn’t the mob all about keeping things on the down low? I’m waiting for MTV to counter with a show called Drug Dealers’ Girlfriends followed by Fuse’s Lovers of Illegal Immigrants.

If you haven’t checked out Jerry Seinfeld’s archive website, then you are either missing out completely or have a job where you don’t sit in front of a computer all day.

Podcasts are saving me from losing my mind while driving home from work. So far I’m big into the BS Report, WTF, NBA Today, Nerdist and Adam Carolla. My one problem is the name podcast. It sounds like something a nerdy alien would come up with and I generally try and avoid anything produced by either a nerd or an alien.

You can tell me all day long that Sarah Palin has absolutely no chance in being elected President, but I won’t believe it until the final vote is counted. I don’t trust her and I don’t trust Middle American voters. There are so many things that disgust me about her: her obscenely obvious lack of credible experience, her dangerously effective rhetoric, her transformation from hot older woman to a deceiving cougar, the reality show success of her completely talentless daughter that it’s not that I just want her to lose. No. I want her to completely disappear off the face of the earth and never be heard from again. She’s no good for anyone and at some point someone other than us East Coast elitist liberals will realize that. Of course if she does disappear, that could be the end of the Huffington Post. That’d be a bummer.

Santigold should do a guest spot on every album recorded. If not her, then Rhianna. But a law needs to be passed that an album can’t be released without one of them appearing on it at least once.

No comments: