Top 7 Driving Albums

TOP 7 DRIVING ALBUMS (not to be confused with Driving Songs, Driving Bands, or Driving Rain...most of which will appear in future entries.)This list is in no particular order, all of these albums are in the Top 7 because they all fit in this category equally well.

1.) Rustic Overtones Long Division. Yes, any Rustic album is a good driving album and any of them could fit into this spot. My vote is for Long Division though because none of their other albums have the opening punch that Long Division does. The album doesn't let up until the first part of Dig and by the time you get to Slowly you're on cruise control and thinking about how Phil wanted the song to be included in his wedding, and how Chachi and K Money spent a full afternoon on mushrooms listening to the album over and over again.
2.) Red Hot Chili Peppers Blood Sugar Sex Magic. The key to a good driving album is flow and this album has it from start to finish. I firmly believe that I will listen to this album until the day I die, which unlike Forrest Whittaker in The Last King of Scotland, has yet to appear to me in a dream.
3.) Beck Guero. Beck's albums are perfect models of how greatness can come from simplicity and when looking for a great driving album, simplicity is key. I mean, let's be honest, between checking Red Sox scores on my phone, trying to find a water bottle that still has water in it, and finding change for tolls, I need simplicity. Sorry Mars Volta.
4.) Kings of Leon Because of the Times. Any Kings' album is great driving music, but this is a great driving album. Play it loud, drive fast, make your girlfriend wish you'd slow down...
5.) The Roots Game Theory. Big White swears by this album and anything Big swears by, I swear by. I strongly believe you should as well.

6.) Lyrics Born Overnite Encore! Erin and I were driving home for Thanksgiving and once breaking through NYC traffic, this album got me all the way to New Hampshire in record time. Live, Lyrics Born is amazing and this album effectively captures the energy of his live show. Plus, there's very little talking, which is one of the main things that kept the Roots album, the Roots Come Alive, off of this list.
7.) Justin Timberlake Future Sex/Love Sounds. I am not ashamed to admit that I love this album. I promise you that in a few years, Timberlake will have fully transcended that thin line between What Dudes Can't Like Because It's Considered Girly and What Dudes Like Because It's Awesome. Brad Pitt did it. Tom Cruise did, but then crossed over another line that is completely insane. On a side note, my dad was given a copy of War of the Worlds and when I was home last time, I watched it. I learned exactly one thing from watching it. If you think something crazy is going to happen, but it's behind you, just watch people's eyes and it will tell you everything you need to know.

No comments: