Top 7 Re-Readable Books

Top 7 Books I Will Read at least 2 More Times in My Life...

1.) A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers. Because it will inevitably be better than another book I'm thinking about reading every six or nine months. Guaranteed.
2.) Sex Puffs & Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman. It's all essays, essays that are like episodes of Seinfeld. Some are better than others, but ultimately they're all awesome and you'll eventually read/watch all of them over a thousand times. This could easily be said for all of Klosterman books, but because I read this one first, it gets the nod. Killing Yourself to Live is a close second.
3.) Now I Can Die in Peace by Bill Simmons. I just finished this, but it certainly has all the makings of a book I'll read again. It A) consists of essays (see above) B) is about the Red Sox and the years leading up to their World Series Championship in 2004 and C) serves as a way for me to interpret various episodes of The Sopranos and Entourage within the context of sports. It also serves a nostalgic purpose and because I will always want to be reminded of that 2004 series, I will no doubt read this book again.
4.) The Assassins Gate by George Packer. This book puts the entire Iraq war in it’s proper context and explains the ideas behind the war, ideas dating back to the Hawks’ heyday of the 60’s and 70’s. However, the density of the book most likely caused me to missed something, which will in turn, propel me to read it again, and that time I will also miss something, which will…
5.) The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway. One day something will come up that will cause me to grab a book that I can read in one sitting. I’ll be going somewhere in a plane or a truck or a boat and this book will serve that need perfectly. I will look at my bookshelf for maybe ten minutes, before saying the hell with it, and grabbing this book. This will happen probably three times a year. If I don’t grab Old Man and the Sea, then Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck is also a good call.
6.) The Rum Diary by Hunter S. Thompson. This book will involve a similar situation to the one listed above. The only difference will be the length of the trip and the possible inclusion of reckless drinking that lead to long, sweaty, hungover mornings.
7.) The People’s History of the United States by Howard Zinn. Because someday I’ll finish this book, probably after catching Good Will Hunting on TBS. On a side note, you will most likely find Good Will Hunting included in the Top 7 Movies I Will Always Watch When I Stumble Across Them on Cable, which will be out soon.

No comments: