The Dumpster Fire's Jazz Odyssey Moment

Let’s talk about two of this week's happenings:

1.) realizing a fantasy football trade might not work out as planned

2.) learning that the best part of VH1’s Metal Week celebration is the constant airing of This is Spinal Tap.

“If I told them once, I told them a hundred times. Put Spinal Tap first and Puppet Show second.”

Realizing that Miles Austin wasn’t going to work, I had my own personal “resorting to Jazz Odyssey” moment a few days ago. James Starks would be my jazz odyssey. At this point, I really have no choice. I picked up Michael Crabtree, but I did so with little hope. And while I realize that the subject of failed fantasy football trades is neither fresh nor all that interesting…or is it? Just like that, it is back to the old does anyone else care about your fantasy football team debate and yes, I think it’s safe to say that while Future Wife may not be all that interested in Burnsy’s Dumpster Fire- I think other people might, sort of, kind of be.

So what happened was, I needed more production from my wide receivers and for the first time since 2007, when I had Randy Moss, I wanted a stud dude at that position. I dangled The Romocoaster around and once Jason Campbell went down, had a trading partner with the Rogue Load. It seemed like a mega-deal- I trade The Romocoaster, a disappointing MJD and Boldin and end up with Austin and Ray Rice. The impetus of the trade had been the success of Matthew Stafford If He Stays Healthy and of course, the first game after the trade, Stafford gets injured. That was the first bad sign. The second was Rice’s worst game of the season against Jacksonville and then culminating in Trouble Town with Austin going out with an injury. Defeated. Bummer. Oh well.

What can you do?

Well you look to Spinal Tap and do what you have to- you do your Jazz Odyssey.

I can watch This Is Spinal Tap at least once a week; for at least twenty minutes. There aren’t many movies that have that effect on me anymore. Shawshank Redemption has an honorary slot in the countdown, but after that, the list just isn’t what it used to be. I’m even watching the edited version right now and it doesn’t matter. That’s rare. I wonder why more bands don’t cover Spinal Tap songs? I think “Tonight I’m Gonna Rock It”- I’m not even sure if that is the title, would be a hell of a lot of fun to play.

For Burnsy’s Dumpster Fire, we are getting dangerously close to that point where we either need to get on the charts in Japan or call it a day and go to work on our opera about Happy Jack.

Other things learned this week:

New Coldplay album is surprisingly good.

Funniest episode of the Office this season was on last night.

Yuengling is an anomaly of a beer. It tastes good in a glass, in a bottle and in a can. Not too many beers can say that.

Thanks to our veterans.

No comments: