Thankfully Thankful on Thanksgiving

For most people, tomorrow is their first Thanksgiving of the year. For this guy, not so. It’ll be my second- such is the life of a married man. I have one more after tomorrow.

Besides the obvious things I’m so very thankful for…my wife, my family, health, a house sparred from the devastating wrath of Hurricane Sandy, there are some other things, not so obvious, that I’m thankful for.

I’m thankful for maturity, specifically my maturity and how it comes into play the night before Thanksgiving- a night that is non-traditionally one of the biggest drinking nights of the year next to New Years’ Eve. My maturity is going to enable me to refrain from getting blisteringly drunk tonight and subsequently putting a damper on tomorrow. I’m thankful for that.

I’m thankful for these new jeans I bought. They’re very comfortable.

I’m thankful for finding a place to get my haircut that’s not the equivalent of playing Russian roulette.

I’m thankful for Kick Back Ale by East Coast Brewing Company, but not totally thankful for the mild headaches it produces the next day if I’m too thankful for the beer.

I’m thankful for Spotify because I’m not in a band anymore and thus, can openly admit that listening to music for free is awesome.

I’m thankful for my reasonable approach to neighbors who drop off letters, complaining about loud drums and then don’t sign the letter. Although I’m potentially not thankful for how I might react if they drop off another unsigned letter.

I’m thankful for the band Spoon.

I’m thankful for picture text messages. It makes living 2 hours away from my super adorable niece much easier.

I’m thankful for fantasy football this year. It made me realize how I can’t control the outcome and just need to enjoy the ride- important to remember for next year.

I’m thankful for Boardwalk Empire stepping it up a notch this season and getting really good.

I’m thankful for DVR, especially when it comes to recording football games.

I’m thankful for an Obama victory.

I’m thankful for being able to laugh at the absurdity of Fox News and the rest of the loud-mouthed vagabonds and blood-sucking blowhards on the right.

I’m thankful for the combination of Life cereal & Honey Nut Cheerios.

I'm thankful for the song "Warriors" by DRGN KING

I'm thankful for all the dogs in my life and the happiness they bring.

In the end, there’s a lot I’m thankful for and I’ll keep that in mind.

Happy Thanksgiving. Don’t eat too fast…you’ll get hiccups.

No comments: